gwynnie wrote: Sorry to go off topic Laurie but as you mention Stardaisy's blog I would like to add a comment.
I consider it very bad manners for someone to block you from reading their blog and then write about you behind your back. Fortunately we have other members here who agree and are willing to send copies of said blog to those concerned, so we ARE aware of what is going on.

The reason why they get ban is because they stir up the pot and my blog isn't to stir up the pot and this is why they get ban from viewing my blog. If you get someone else to view my blog and relay the message to you that is what I call Back stabbing. So..... it is ok for them to go behind my back and relay the message to you?
stardaisy wrote: Was reviewing some of the forum postings and spotted this.....

Sorry that you got upset over what I said and only trying to help but I guess you took it the wrong way Laurie. AND I get hassle by not providing links, so that is why I provided links to back up what I am saying.

Gwynn, if others relay my blog messages to you and it got twisted around, I will find out and perhaps they too will be ban from my blog. Just say....

Just bumping this up.
Definition. A feral cat is a cat that has not had human contact other than to have been born near civilization. A stray is a cat that has had human contact and lost it. I have a stray. He is sleeping on a chair right now. He is past three so will spend more time indoors. Even my home grown cats were known to stay out all night and act like strays. My other cat is adopted, he was going to get banged on the head. His Father may have been a stray or a barn cat. There is little difference. I had a cat show up one winter and stay above my chicken house where it was warm. I fed it all winter and it left in the spring. It might have had a home, it seemed to know where it was going. Even barn cats should be fed, they will still kill mice, it is their nature. Cats will eat grain on a farm but it isn't good for them. City cats will eat out of dumpsters, but it isn't good for them. I have a neighbour that had a neutered jet black cat show up and move in. He named it lucky. He was given a stray from our re home program. It decided to go walkabout and find it's own home. I imagine it is in someones barn. I do not know where Jasper came from, but he is quite comfortable here. He was a half starved mature kitten when he showed up. I doubt he has had any shots. I would not trade him for anything, even a better car, which I badly need. 
He is patient, loving and except for peeing in the flower bed, the perfect companion. He comes to the garden when I weed or harvest.
People are very irresponsible to more than just cats. They are the problem, not the humane society. Every cat born has the chance of not being wanted. You don't have to adopt a cat, you can donate to the re home societies so they can meet bills. My old cat is sleeping on my arm. All he wants from me is a warm place to sleep and good food. He has over the years kept mice from digging up my bulbs and ringing my fruit trees. A fair trade I think. He is retired now and Jasper is doing his job. 
gwynnie wrote: Sorry to go off topic Laurie but as you mention Stardaisy's blog I would like to add a comment.
I consider it very bad manners for someone to block you from reading their blog and then write about you behind your back. Fortunately we have other members here who agree and are willing to send copies of said blog to those concerned, so we ARE aware of what is going on.

Gwyn and Laurie, just a little reminder as to why people are block from viewing my blog. That reminder is in the link provided below. After this comment that was left, was the reason why she was block, she was block after I read her comment in this link, not prior to that! I don't consider it bad manner at all. It just a little back stabbing on her part to twist things around their favor.

https://www.50plus-club.ca/forum/the-insanity-stops-now--t67907.html

Dav, people like you can only understand cats, Cats are as you know, very independent and choose what they want as they are the master and not us. There are a couple of stray cats around here that refuse to go inside, they find warmth elsewhere and food as well, this is why I have my garbage bags in a container or two so that they can't get inside and make a mess. For those who don't understand cats nature never own a cat, OH we don't own them, they own us. :wink: Beside, cats choose their owners, we don't choose them, even if we adopt them, they will decide if they want to be their owners.
I'm not here to stir anything -- clearly strong feelings can come up on this kind of topic.  Just let me throw in some info ... hopefully, balancing info ... to help others prevent this kind of experience.

While PETA may be against this R2F -- Return to Field -- program, in many circumstances it does work well.  Those circumstances depend on the parties involved adhering to standards and criteria for the animals collected or surrendered.  First criteria is that the animal is truly FERAL and not just a stray or homeless animal.  Feral animas can seem very sad and neglected, but they are resourceful way beyond what you can imagine.  The key is to SPAY or NEUTER them so they do not increase in population and act-out towards humans and their family pets or livestock.

It seems to me that the first mistake was trusting the local Humane Society.  I'm sorry to sound so negative towards this organization, but I've had quite a bit of experience with them.  Like many "chain" businesses, each location can differ remarkably.  Many people still fear the local county animal shelters, but often they are the best facilities.  More on that in a bit ...

This sweet kitty that was surrendered with the best of intentions, was NOT a feral cat.  Cats like this should NOT be involved in a R2F program.  Well managed, responsible animal agencies take in cats like this and work VERY HARD TO FIND THEM A HOME.  I volunteer at such an organization.  We NEVER euthanize for space, and go to extreme lengths to save/re-home companion animals.  It is a county shelter -- we no longer call them POUNDS -- and our save-rate is high enough to qualify us for a no-kill shelter status.  But we are the only one in the are than can euthanize, and sadly, sometimes this is THE only way to deal with extreme circumstances.  

While this hurts the heart, I'm deeply grateful that my Shelter makes these decisions with intelligence, compassion and great care!!!  In fact, we -- the large volunteer support organization that works in tandem with the Shelter -- have been allowed to take extreme measures to save ill animals that most places wouldn't hesitate the euthanize (and sometimes I would have agreed with that decision). We've saved cats with highly infectious diseases because a group came together to not only BUILD an offsite rehab center, but formed a round-the-clock group of volunteers to treat the cat.  We researched treatment possibilities for a dog with a life-time disease who now has a VERY happy home, but at one time was bloated and miserable and days away from death because he was mis-diagnosed.  We were all instructed to come say good-bye to him  ... BUT I just photographed him in an agility contest a few weeks ago.  We facilitated an adoption of a very sweet dog who was left with an UN-treated broken leg that had atrophied to the point of being impossible to save.  It was confiscated and treated.  I promoted this great animal on TV and people called immediately to take him home.  He is living a VERY happy life now with a family who has had a 3-legged dog and knew just how to help him.

I'm so sorry to hear such heart-breaking stories, but there is hope.  Many places work hard -- way beyond what I'm writing here -- to work to help animals.  Keep the faith that much is being done, but don't trust an organization just cuz it has a well-known name -- check them out!!!

The advice here is to get to know your local facilities.  You may find good one, but you may not.  Fear and ignorance seem to the the norm today and many people who are involved with animals are still very ignorant. Usually, somewhere near where you are there is a "No-Kill" Shelter or one who's policy is equivalent.  If you find a stray that seems very oriented to humans and you cannot keep the animal, a shelter with this policy can take a surrender -- usually for a small fee/ours is $10 -- and will work to find it a home.  If after lingering, the animal has not been re-homed, they reach out to other organizations and rescue groups to help.  There are the things you have to ask about, if you want to be an animal-advocate at any time in your life!

I hope this helps ... and I hope that more and more shelters across the country are morphing into the great facility that we have here in my area.  Peace and comfort to all animal lovers here!!! :D