No, I'm not colorblind
I know the world is black and white
I try to keep an open mind
But I just can't sleep on this tonight

Stop this train
I want to get off and go home again
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can't
But honestly, won't someone stop this train?

Don't know how else to say it
Don't want to see my parents go
I'm one generation's length away
From fighting life out on my own

Oh, come on, stop this train
I want to get off and go home again
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can't
But honestly, won't someone stop this train?

I'm so scared of getting older
I'm only good at being young
So I play the numbers game
To find a way to say my life has just begun

Had a talk with my old man
Said, "Help me understand"
He said "Turn 68, you'll re-negotiate"

"Don't stop this train
Don't for a minute change the place you're in
And don't think I couldn't ever understand
I tried my hand
John, honestly we'll never stop this train"

Oh, now, once in a while, when it's good
It'll feel like it should
And they're all still around
And you're still safe and sound
And you don't miss a thing
'Til you cry
When you're driving away in the dark, yeah

Singing
Stop this train
I want to get off and go back home again
I can't take the speed this thing moving in
I know I can't
'Cause now I see, I'm never gonna stop this train

Re: Stop This Train

The train will stop at the right place at the right time. Keep your hopes and aspirations high to help the trains speed and destination.

I agree with you that the train will eventually stop. Whether it will do so at the right place and time is debatable. Inevitability doesn't necessarily suggest right or wrong. Those 2 concepts are subjective to each human being. Right and wrong is relative, as is time itself, which Einstein so brilliantly explained.

The interesting thing about the song is that it never mentions a destination, merely the movement of the train and the anxiety of the passager. I think it's safe to assume that the traveling train symbolizes the passage of time, which (at least as far as we know now) moves only in one direction (forward), and can't be stopped. The implicit idea is that the destination is death, which is also inevitable (again, as far as we know now).

Centuries before Einstein discovered spacetime, St. Augustine suggested that every thing and action in the universe, even thought itself, exist within and because of time. And time exists outside of human consciousness.

So yeah, it's a waste of time, effort and thought to want to stop this train (time), which the passsnger eventually understands and accepts, albeit grudgingly.

And as you pointed out, he realizes that it's better to face it with optimism and a focus on the good times and memories, and to value all the time we've been given. :)

Nice choice, I love this song... Interesting your post and your analysis BR.
I have traveled a lot by train. As the daughter of a railway worker, I was familiar with trains and stations. During the trips, I could choose to stay in first-class and travel comfortably, but I always went to second class because I was eager to make new friends and in the second I was sure to meet more interesting and easy-going people. When I was in good company, every trip was special. So, I think, that in life the speed (inevitable of time) of the train doesn't matter so much, nor the destination. In my life, I stop only to try to surround myself with good company to make my trip as pleasant as possible.

Hi Incipit,

I've never ridden on a train, but the song does put me in mind of the experience. It's something I've always wanted to do, and it's definitely on my bucket list, hopefully when I take a vacation to Europe!

A and I agree with you. It's much better to just sit back and enjoy both the ride, and our time and adventures with loved ones and friends new and old, than to obsess over and fret about when the ride will be over. :D