After thinking this over.

Jephthah, who pray to God to win this war with the Ammonites, knowing if he won the war, and knowing that the only person who would come out of that house would be his daughter and in his prayer he ofter God as a sacrifice of his daughter. She never knew a man to make love with so this will put her father mind at ease, as if she did find a man that she could love, only would bear a child that the land will go to and he wouldn't want that, just my thought on the subject.

Knowing that there is a possibility that his daughter could be in the hand of the Ammonites, so offering his daughter up to God, he won't have to worry about Ammonites getting his land/home. This way, he is sure that his land would go to those that he wanted it to go to, perhaps to one of his Nephew? So to make sure who ever would inheritance Jephthah home, would go to the right blood line.

If he lost the war with the Ammonites, he lost his land/home so what different would it make about his daughter and whom she is with to make love?

I need to read up more on that book of Judge to see where it all is going.

But I thank Candlefish for bringing this to my attention as it would give me the opportunity to read up more on the bible.

So Candlefish, does this help your curiosity about that subject?
I have to be honest with you sweetheart. BBQ'ing your own kid is not something I can relate to, for whatever reason you wish to attach to it.
No... me either.
Nor beheading anyone. But bear in mind, that how those countries worship and we don't worship like that here now a days in our country.

Mind you, I don't have daughters so I have no worries about BBQing them.
:wink:
The Jews only believe in the first five book of the bible, the book Moses wrote, if it goes further, then we are blasphemy the holy spirit. They take sabbath on Saturday, not on Sunday.

I got this information from a friend of mine who is a reform Jew. It took me a long time to understand why "Born a Jew" but we aren't as we are Galatical. According to the Jewish custom, they don't need to be baptize.
On the other hand, we do burn body after we pass on, it call Cremation. Nothing in the bible stated that anyone ate his daughter body.
According to the commentators of the rabbinic Jewish tradition, Jepthah's daughter was not sacrificed, but was forbidden to marry and remained a spinster her entire life, fulfilling the vow that she would be devoted to the Lord.
Here is another thought.

Perhaps he was greedy and didn't want to share his glory of winning the war as it is the custom when a man win the war, the ladies come out of their home to celebrate the winning? In this case, it is his daughter that lives with him.

Just like USA have this custom of death row in most states, but seeing how some of them don't make it that far, they don't even get to stand trial.

like Eric Garner a black that was killed by chokehold by the NYPD, do we understand the American Custom of what been happening? No because we are not Americans and we don't have that kind of things happening here. Because we have human right law that protect us from such incidents.
In England....... beheading continued in Britain up to 1747. Anglo Saxon times as a punishment for certain types of serious theft. It came back during William the Conqueror time. Beheading was confined to those of noble birth who were convicted of treason. Men convicted of High Treason were condemned to hanged drawn and quartered and women to be burned at the stake.

So if you read up on history back in time, there been a lot of unforeseen thoughts of how one is to end one's life.

Canada did have death row until the human rights law came into affect, thus ended capital punishment in Canada.
To indicate Stardaisy that America does not value human life is offensive to me. That being set aside, you again have comment on a news bite that inflames rather than gives facts. I for one will sit back and make sure I have all the information needed before I make a decision on who is guilty or not. I have not been graced with your knowledge to piece together the right and wrong without seeing all the information concerning the situation. Do I see an injustice, yes I do. But until I can converse on it with all the facts present I will hold my thoughts close to the vest. I cannot understand why people insist on throwing gasoline onto a bonfire without first checking to see if the fire will spread. It is with words not truth that will flame the fires.
Miss Information
I will have to agree with Lady....the only one that can judge us is our heavenly father...court systems are set up in each country to make informed decisions and when trials are held as jurors to make decision or guilt or innocence...unless I sit on that jury or am knowledgeable about a country's' customs....is it my right to comment, judge, make assumptions about a country or states laws, government or problems or the guilt or innocence of people involved in a crime....no....that is left to the officials who are voted on to make those decisions and when it goes to court it is a body of chosen peers to make a difficult but informed decision...is any country perfect....no ....is any system perfect ...no....but each does the best it can do .....so that is my opinion....until you walk in a mans shoes or live in a country ...probably best not to judge the merits of said crime, laws or country....and that is my opinion on the subject....as I am proud to be an American and as I am sure each is proud to be born in their respective country....
This is so much fun isn't it?...All one has to do is mention a Biblical story about a guy that traded the life of his daughter for a victory in battle, and that you yourself are an Atheist, and before long you're arguing about the death penalty and whether a black guy was abused by the cops in New York city.....lol

I think I'll save the one about Lot selling his Daughters to be gang raped just to save a couple of guys that were visiting him at the time. And even more...lolol...He (Lot) and hid daughters hide in a cave where they indulge a little hanky-panky themselves....but as I say...Another time.
]
I hope that "other time" isn't Tuesday.. :lol: 
I agree this thread went right out to left field.  I love the USA and the people there.  I used to spend a lot of my time in Florida. 
TheLadyL wrote: To indicate Stardaisy that America does not value human life is offensive to me. That being set aside, you again have comment on a news bite that inflames rather than gives facts. I for one will sit back and make sure I have all the information needed before I make a decision on who is guilty or not. I have not been graced with your knowledge to piece together the right and wrong without seeing all the information concerning the situation. Do I see an injustice, yes I do. But until I can converse on it with all the facts present I will hold my thoughts close to the vest. I cannot understand why people insist on throwing gasoline onto a bonfire without first checking to see if the fire will spread. It is with words not truth that will flame the fires.
Miss Information

I move this information upon Daddyfish request to this section of the forum to point out a different view on Jephthah daughter and her death. Like burnt offering, could it be a ceremonial event as in cremation? The bible also didn’t state how her health was either?
Like the some native treaty do theirs differently to respect the dead or how to pay the last respect to them.

Well Miss Information, I don't have a clue what you are talking about. My statement here is how different we view things in life and what is your view on the bible and life in General? Is this your view on the bible "America does not value human life is offensive to me".?

If you pay attention to the topic and what I am trying to point out, maybe you will understand what point I am making. I don't find anything offensive because it is true. We don't see or understand what the Americans point of view as we are not Americans and don't expect us to understand the Law the USA has.
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=e ... mp=yhs-001

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyp ... -1.2031841

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Er ... 96151.html

http://ericgarner.org/

Not sure if you are mention about the above link? As you didn't state where you are having trouble with my subject on this thread.

If it is about death row? I merely stating how we view differently and the value of life, I also stated that we ended our death row and that in some State that they still have death row. It is how we view things on what we read, such as the bible. If that is what bothering you, perhaps you should be reading what started this topic. It just an example of how each to their own on how we view things in life. I also only merely stating that some don't even make it to trial for the crime that they commit, like Eric Garner and Michael Brown. This topic isn’t about how the Americans rule their country and for us to understand, it is about how we view things and how we understand. That is my view as a Canadian.

Or perhaps it is that most folks including you LadyL are confusing my English with yours? If so, then I apologize for the difference in Language. And for pointing out how people view things in life. As a Canadian and As an American, we don’t understand the laws in any country other than our own, for that matter unless you are educated as to why they choose that type of laws. I just merely say how we view things in life, not to judge how you don’t value human life.
All I am saying in this topic is how one view the bible and use today example of how we view laws in each country such as our and the states.

Yes Miss Information (LadyL), I do a lot of research on line.

Candlefish.....In other words, God gives us the whole truth about biblical characters, their sin, their failures, their victories and good deeds, and we are to learn from their example, what to do and what not to do. In fact, this is one of the ways God teaches us what we need to know in order to make good choices as believers. We can learn the easy way by knowing and obeying God’s Word, we can learn the hard way by suffering the consequences of our mistakes, or we can learn by watching others and “taking heed” from their experiences.

Candlefish, who are you referring to “and that you yourself are an Atheist”? If you are referring to me being an Atheist, what make you think that I am? Or how did you come to judge that I am an Atheist? Also Candlefish, sadly what stated in the bible about Lot and his daughters, some country still do this to this day and they don’t even allow the holy bible in that country.

Speaking about the jury, how does the jury decide on the verdict of Michael Brown and Eric Garner when they were not put behind bars to stand trial? Did I miss something about their trial or when they stand trial?
Was there
People vs Michael Brown
People vs Eric Garner?

Back to this original topic. Since WhiteOrchid add her comment and I will mention this…..
It appear that no one understand the term “Metaphor”.
Daisy, are you sweating? Settle down sweetheart, you know that I would never call you an Atheist. I know where you stand on your Bible, if I worded my post wrong for you, I apologise.
All that I have said has ended in a mote point. Understanding is pointless, because it doesn't exist. To simply state, that facts are needed before an opinion is voiced is not enough. Therefore I will leave the field, it will never bear fruit, and only result in anger. But I do believe that understanding will come, but as with many it will be costly.
Laurie