Service and Support

Jealousy

6 posts
The place for 'daily hellos' and everything else you want to talk about...

Postby heyjk60 » 11.11.2017, 15:17

Does jealousy serve any purpose? Is it something that can be used to improve ourselves to obtain a better mate, better job, better life? Or is it purely a negative emotion?
heyjk60

Postby Polarqueen » 11.11.2017, 18:16

I have found with a lot of people jealousy comes from more than one direction. Some say it’s from insecurity, that’s understandable...low self asteem, or the need to control someone. In my case and a few of my friends, we found out our jealousy came from , not accepting the fact we were NOT in love with the person we were with. Once we were honest , jealousy disappeared. And life went forward . 
        Polarqueen 
Polarqueen

Postby rainywhether » 11.11.2017, 18:46

I am not jealous...but I am envious.
rainywhether

Postby heyjk60 » 11.11.2017, 20:25

Good point. Jealousy and envy are two different things and are often used interchangeably.
heyjk60

Postby dbguy49 » 13.11.2017, 1:49

Rainywhether's distinction is correct but also very intriguing. Which is the greater, or to be less judgmental, the more unattractive.

Jealousy may be an unfounded emotional fear and may lead to destructive behaviour, but it usually originates from a bond or connection.. at least a sharing of circumstance/life.

Envy seems to me to be a general dissatisfaction with one's own situation, often independent of any particular relationship with the object/s of your envy..and therefore is the more unfortunate.

I may gently talk to the person whose jealousy concerns me but will be fearful and wary of he who envies me.
dbguy49

Postby khush53 » 13.11.2017, 5:07

[quote="heyjk60"]Does jealousy serve any purpose? Is it something that can be used to improve ourselves to obtain a better mate, better job, better life? Or is it purely a negative emotion?[Should not have negative emotions that are really very harmful for their health.
khush53

Return to The Lounge - Open Forum