simonpete wrote: i travel alone too but its not fun as traveling with someone.. Its sometimes lonely

I agree simonpete, travelling alone can be lonely, so I try to do "group" holidays where you mix with others. I have just done a coach/steam train trip round N England, Scotland and Wales and had a wonderful time. The main problem is "single supliment"!!
I do it all the time - and yes, it can sometimes be a bit awkward or intimidating, especially at first - but you'll eventually learn to love it!  Join occasional tours, and check out the local interests before you go.  Always be safe, though!  Enjoy! 
There is nothing wrong with traveling / vacationing by yourself . It seemed weird the first time I did. It can be a bit more expensive as everything is based on double occupancy. Though more companies are catering towards singles. Since being divorced I traveled more in the last 5 years than  I did in 14 years of marriage. Now I am thinking of either a cooking or a  painting vacation. For example you go some place like southern France , under the guidance of professional chef , you tour the farms , markets , vineyards , etc , learn how to properly pick , buy , prepare and cook your meal. You do have free time and you end up with a cook book . Now  that is way to experience a different culture or through arts, painting is pretty much the same. That to me is why one travels to broaden  one's mind , not clog it with old wine and younger women or men as the case may be though there is nothing wrong with that either .
Seems like a lot of people have thoughts/opinions on this topic of travelling alone!

I've been a solo traveller since I was 26 years old. I took an extended trip to Portugal to 'find myself' after my husband was killed in a plane crash. For a long time after I remarried the only solo travel I did was for my work. Slowly but surely as I spent more and more time on the road I got to enjoy the experience. I noticed that I didn't feel the need to take a book into the dining room with me. I could quite happily enjoy a lovely meal all by myself, watching other diners between courses or enjoying the landscape or simply contemplating my day, my life and my future.

Now that I live alone the transition to solo travel has been pretty effortless. I frequently spend up to 3 months overseas at a time and seldom feel lonely. I camp solo all the time, much to the shock of many parks employees. They always seem startled to have a single woman checking in!

I've actually become so accustomed to solo travel that I'm not sure how I'd do sharing time and space with someone else. I guess with the right person it could be pretty fabulous to, once again, be able to share experiences and memories of experiences.

One thing that I love to do is provide advice and commentary on a couple of sites focused on women's solo travel. It is quite wonderful to be able to help encourage women, young or old, who are striking out on travel adventures for the first time. I encourage everyone, man or woman, to try some solo travel. There's no better way to really get to know yourself!
I'm planning to travel alone to Ireland or Italy soon.  I'm newly divorced and sacrificed my life for my family.  Now it's time for me.  I would appreciate any advice. I consider myself nice, fun, easy to be with, and not out for a wild time but to enjoy adventure.  I like people and learning about other cultures.  I hope someone out there has some words of wisdom for me. You can "friend" me if you like.  I'm debmarie.  And I thank you in advance!  Smiles! :D
Take me with you! LOL :mrgreen:
i wish I could find a holiday buddy  :?
hi scorpiobabs. Have you tried using the search facility to locate other members in your area? You might find a holiday buddy!
debmarie wrote: I'm planning to travel alone to Ireland or Italy soon.  I'm newly divorced and sacrificed my life for my family.  Now it's time for me.  I would appreciate any advice. I consider myself nice, fun, easy to be with, and not out for a wild time but to enjoy adventure.  I like people and learning about other cultures.  I hope someone out there has some words of wisdom for me. You can "friend" me if you like.  I'm debmarie.  And I thank you in advance!  Smiles! :D

We have some nice members from Ireland who visit the chatroom often. Why don't you pop in sometime as it can be good to get to know people in an area you plan to travel to
I have been on coach trips on my own and usually find people to be very friendly.   In the evenings I go for a walk after dinner if the weather is good.

Next weekend I am going to mid Wales for a two night break to an hotel I have stayed at before so I know they are friendly ... my biggest worry is that I am going by train and then will use local buses to get out and about.   Hope I don't get lost ! :shock:  
Sounds as if you need a smart phone with GPS Myrtle!
:lol:
Hi,

I did my first solo travel early last year, to Greece and Turkey. I enjoyed every moment of it! Met so many people from all walks of life, made new friends and we're still keeping in touch. Already planning on making another solo trip soon. I hope to post some pictures of my travel on this site soon. Just sharing... :)
I have been traveling solo for the past couple of years now. At first, I feel a bit nervous but after a while, I began to enjoy it. The only downside of traveling alone is that, it's difficult to take pictures, and not having someone to talk to or share your appreciation more so when you see or experience something you find amazingly beautiful. Good thing, there's this stick now which can hold your cell and make taking self pics a lot easier and convenient lol.

Do not fear to travel alone because there's a lot out there who does the same. Join group or couch tours because that would pave the way for you to meet other travelers.
There is always someone about, ask someone if they don't mind taking a photo of you where ever you are standing or sitting I am sure they don't mind doing it for you?