Cut the crap-processed foods.

The supermarkets have less basic food if any. The isles are full of factory prepared food. The most lucrative section is the pre-packaged vegetable, salad, juiced section. It has become the largest labour intensive section of most supermarkets.Meat is sold in packages often pre-cooked complete with condiments. Many of these products and others are unhealthy and the sad part is most people know and do nothing to change. My local market is selling fresh juice on ice which is basically cut up fruit blended raw in bottles. Outrageously expensive and of questionable merit. There is not a fruit drink or canned juice in the food section that is fit for consumption. Eat fewer highly processed foods such as sugary drinks, sweets, salty snacks and processed meats with many ingredients, additives and preservatives. My view of hot dogs, lips, noses and AH's. I haven't even started to define sausages. When diet or food is discussed the typical person goes brain dead and changes the subject. Yet food takes more time and effort than anything else in the daily life of many people. Even more so when they retire.  

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/heart-str ... -1.3241001 'Cut the crap,' get back to nutritional basics. "Avoid all highly processed foods." 
A good rule of thumb I follow is if I can't pronounce it, I don't eat it. I've learned to be a wizard at reading food labels. 
I have started doing the same thing Sally.  First one on the list is the largest component. Anything starting with sugar is a no no for me.
Well-said, Nancy! I am a diabetic and also a dialysis patient, so diet - especially processed foods - is very important!

I still have a thing for Ben & Jerry's Phish Food, though... :)

-DF
It is one of the thing about eating healthy, become a label reader, I have been going through my paper stuff, if I can find it, it will tell us how much is in each food product by grams or ounces or what ever. When I find it, I will post it.

Fresh fruits and Veggies are the most essential food, as well as meat, I tend to eat a lot of chicken as they have less fat. We also need some sort of sugar as it is our source of energy. Honey would be a no no if that is a case. It the grams that should be the most important factor, opps forgot to mention, for USA, it would be ounces.

We have here, some that diabetic can eat as it is made out of "Spenda" sugar, there even chocolate bars for diabetics. The Dietician and nurse that work with me, told me not to use any sugar product that isn't made with splenda, and to use only splenda, so I carry packages of splenda in my purse for tea or coffee. So yes, when you are shopping you become a label reader. There are a lot of words that I can not pronounce, so if I do that rule of the thumb, I would starve to death. :lol:
If you are in a restaurant, you can ask for a speical menu "Gluten Free". :)

There are a lot of process food that diabetic can eat. As there is nothing wrong with process food, your body will start to crave for something and you will go after something that is dangerous to your health.

Hope this help :)
Just wondering if anyone loves Hemp hearts as much as me?
Look them up they're one of the most perfect proteins you can buy.
I find them very tasty and the powdered form is great to add to soups or veggie shakes.  
Hi,

I sprinkle hemp hearts in salads.  Yes they are really rich in protein. 
Not only do you need to read labels but portion size. And portion size can be very unrealistic.