Neither of those machines test cholesterol or triglycerides. So are irrelevant. 
The thread is about cholesterol, not BP or diabetes even if they are connected.

I have two blood pressure machines, calibrated to the hospital machine. I have a glucose monitor which I only use when I'm on medication that affects it. I have a oxygen monitor also. that monitors pulse also. 

But the machine I'm talking about does cholesterol and triglycerides only. Nothing else. If I take tylenol I get a reading above 7, If I retest 12 hours later I get a reading of 5 , if I test the next day I get a reading of 4. So don't tell me it doesn't affect readings. 

The machine is not cheap and there are only a few brands. It is also very close to hospital readings.

Again this thread is about cholesterol, if you want to start one on diabetes, feel free to. I won't stick my nose in since I don't have diabetes. It doesn't mean I don't know a lot about it. 

This is also a forum, personal opinion doesn't belong here. 
That is why I said only the lab can do those work. If you care to read what I am saying it explains it all. Triglycerides doctors don't worry to much about it if your LDL is good and your BP is good then they don't worry to much about it, it usually is tested if you are admitted into the hospital for test.
Then you have an idiot for a doctor. HDL scrubs LDL off the walls and returns it to your liver where it is used to feed muscles and other things that need it. HDL/LDL ratio is important to be able to do this. No matter how low your LDL is if it is building up enough to break loose as plaque then you are dead. Triglycerides are fat floating in your veins. Blood can not absorb fat, if these fat clumps stick together and plug arteries you are dead. Your liver uses fat to make glycogens which you can burn for energy. You have more than enough fat in your body you don't need it in your blood. 
A total  cholesterol level of 3 is desirable but anything under 5.1 is acceptable if the ration is right. This is not a reason to not aim for 3. 

What is your total cholesterol and what is your ratio.  My total is 4.1 without medication after less than six months. That was two weeks ago, it could be lower now since it has been coming down steady. 

No matter what you think or have read it appears that I actually know what I'm doing.  

What does my Doctor think, he says he doesn't know enough so can only recommend statins even though he knows the side effects.  He did not tell me to stop doing what I'm doing. 

Statins do not get rid of cholesterol, they stop you from absorbing it, but they also stop your liver from using it so it doesn't get used where it is needed. And the side effects are head aches and sore muscles because there is no cholesterol being sent where it is needed, instead it is floating around your arteries where it is not needed. Those with hereditary high cholesterol are the only ones that need statins, but they also need a diet too. And a balance so that the liver can do it's job. 

I've used my three posts and figure this is not worth commenting on any more, I know what I'm doing. 
90% of people are going to listen to you because they don't want to give up the foods they like. That is just how people are which is why our medical system is overloaded. Do I care, not any more, I tried. On with my life. 
Not necessary, you could have a "T.I.A." or "Stroke". it depends on how much sugar for your intake or Transfat. If you can control your LDL then you will be doing fine, if you have HDL then there is no worries. Now a days, they have a simple procedure that will scrub the plaque off your arteries and not to worry about putting in a stent or two.

By the time you are feeling rotten or ill, your Aneurysm is about 3 cm which is to small for a stent as it has to be at least 5 cm. But they have a neat tool that can clean that 3 cm of plaque off those arteries wall.
Yeah. This is our world right now, treat your body like crap and then get the doctors to fix it. There is a simpler way to get rid of plaque. And it reaches every corner. LDL is used my your body, some is necessary. HDL has only one use, to bind to LDL and return it to your liver to be recycled. So ratio is important. Olive oil increases HDL. When you reduce cholesterol intake your liver builds it from fat. But when you increase HDL it scrubs off the LDL and your cholesterol appears to go up. This is because you have more in your blood being recycled back to your liver. It will go down. You can have a very low total cholesterol and still have it building up in your arteries if it is all LDL. Cholesterol test can only tell you how much is in your blood not how much is stuck to your arteries. So if you have a high cholesterol diet your HDL is going to be busy binding to that instead of doing its job, scrubbing off the walls. 

Exercise and proper eating habits. Balance foods, Eat cholesterol binding foods with cholesterol bearing foods to reduce the amount of cholesterol getting into your system. LDL is a sticky waxy substance that sticks to fibre. HDL doesn't stick as well. So if you just have to have that cheese, have it with high fibre crackers, not three eggs. You want a sausage for breakfast, have it with a bowl of oatmeal. And don't worry about totally eliminating cholesterol. You need some. But the average diet is well over the 375mg a healthy active person is allowed. That is not good. 

If you are happy doing statins then do them, they give me sore muscles and headaches and reduce my ability to get anything done so I'm not doing them. But that is just me. And be careful, the internet is full of misinformation and solutions that aren't solutions, keep in mind who is probably paying for this free information. 

OnlyDavit wrote: So stardaisy you have high cholesterol and a machine to test it or do you think your Diabetes is so important you can overrun this post. 
Arm chair doctors are a pain in the ass. The fact remains, if you take in cholesterol you have to get rid of it. On the internet there is one post saying eat eggs for every ten that says limit their intake. If you have a high physical job and high physical hobbies and do not have hereditary high cholesterol eat eggs, but stay off my post because you are not who it is for. This was to help people who have dangerously high cholesterol. And it is based on fact, on what I know, not what I read somewhere. 
I have a machine, I test every two weeks. I have cut my cholesterol in half. I will continue to do what I am doing until it is normal again before introducing foods high in cholesterol back to my diet. This includes eggs. I miss a three egg cheese omelette. But I'm not having it just cause the internet says I can. I will when my cholesterol is normal again but only on one day out of the week. 
I'm intelligent enough to know the difference between doing something because it works and doing it because I want it to work. 

I've survived 28 years of Arthritis by doing what works, not what is supposed to work.  I take one blood pressure med, my brother takes four. Who is doing the right thing. I've been borderline diabetic and borderline osteoporosis for thirty years, I've watched people cross this line doing the wrong things. 

I've beat anxiety and panic without medication too. Which is good because I'm tired of people trying to sabotage what I do. 

As for this post, you have a choice, you can try this or not, it is your life, just keep in mind, most people are not aware they have high cholesterol  till they end up in the ER or dead.

This is a forum anyone can say anything, including me. And personal experience backed up by test results is a hell of a lot better than out dated information off the internet.  

When you mention about internet and misinformation, I recall you mention about internet so when searching for it and found it here, so for someone who is telling everyone about internet being misinformation source and yet you went in search for something on the net. Could you possibly be giving people mix messages?
But and here is where we differ. I have high cholesterol so over the last six month with a test every Saturday and various different adjustments I know what works, I do nothing without reason. You on the other hand are posting with nothing but some one else's word which you can not show works or doesn't. You have no proof that anything you are recommending by posting links works. I on the other hand am posting what works for me and may work for someone else. You can physically remove cholesterol but unless you change what put it there in the first place it will go back. Your ability to use cholesterol at 65 is not the same as it was at 30. 

I get the impression you think I should leave it to a doctor to fix since I'm not one. Does that mean he is smarter than me. He says himself he has no answers other than pills. And he isn't the one with the problem.

What I had intended to post here was that it is possible to eat heart healthy without giving up quality.
Soy milk which should be limited if you have a thyroid problem is fine in cooking and will give you protein and if it is fortified calcium. But no cholesterol.
Yesterday I made cookies with olive oil instead of  butter and only the egg whites. They are good with no olive oil taste. 
I made potato leek soup without butter too and soy milk in place of the cream.  Again no cholesterol. 
Now this is overkill except that the stuffed peppers do have cholesterol in them.
It's about balance. Fibre to balance the animal fats.
You won't find charts on how much cholesterol is acceptable because it depends on age, exercise and if you are taking pills.  What the net says is 200mg if you are taking Statins and not cortisone. 375mg if you are active and healthy and not on any medication and don't already have high cholesterol. 
I doubt there are many people staying at these numbers. I know I wasn't, I'm under 100mg now. And I'm more active.
Only time will tell if I'm doing it right.  
My Doctor told me after my blood tests that I have high cholesterol and gave me tablets  :shock:, never took them though. my daughter says it can be dealt with if you eat properly meaning healthy. not done that either, I think if I ignore it, it will go away. never realised how serious it can be. so if I take the tablets can I still eat chocolate etc meaning what I still eat? I don't have one of those test things but was told to come in 3 months to see if has gone down.   :lol: I knew I should have not read all this, just make me panic more. oh forgot to say the Doctor gave me Atorvastatin 
Mort, as a friend I would advise that you ask your doctor or dietitian rather than untrained people. In my understanding cholesterol is quite variable and what is normal for one is abnormal for another. My husband was not a particularly healthy eater and he had LOW cholesterol. Leave it to the experts. :D
morton1 wrote: My Doctor told me after my blood tests that I have high cholesterol and gave me tablets  :shock:, never took them though. my daughter says it can be dealt with if you eat properly meaning healthy. not done that either, I think if I ignore it, it will go away. never realised how serious it can be. so if I take the tablets can I still eat chocolate etc meaning what I still eat? I don't have one of those test things but was told to come in 3 months to see if has gone down.   :lol: I knew I should have not read all this, just make me panic more. oh forgot to say the Doctor gave me Atorvastatin 

No need to panic Morton...You and Davit are very different people with different lifestyles. Davit is very knowledgeable regarding what works for him and I admire the way he has such self discipline regarding healthy eating.
Like you I will not take tablets without knowing what they will do, side effects and advantages. If you are concerned go back to your doctor and ask questions...... :D :D :D  
OK,I will go back the Doctors, even though I hate them, but after reading all this about strokes, aneurysms, etc its bloody scary  :(  thanks girls xx
gwynnie wrote: Mort, as a friend I would advise that you ask your doctor or dietitian rather than untrained people. In my understanding cholesterol is quite variable and what is normal for one is abnormal for another. My husband was not a particularly healthy eater and he had LOW cholesterol. Leave it to the experts. :D

I totally agree with you. Doctor's know more about how body work than untrained people, which I call drugstore doctors
. :wink:
morton1 wrote: OK,I will go back the Doctors, even though I hate them, but after reading all this about strokes, aneurysms, etc its bloody scary  :(  thanks girls xx

Learn about what your problem is, study upon it, by internet, or public liberary, other health issue can cause more problem with your body like thyroid, you may have to study on healthy eating habits which suit you just fine. Ask your doctor more about your health and see if he has any reading materials for you to learn or maybe he can refer you somewhere so that you can get the support and to study.
One way of staying healthy is excersize, jogging, join a gym, that will help burn off the excess sugar and get rid of plaques. Remember, your body work differently than mine or Dav.
If you are in need of your fix of Chocolate, do something to burn it off, even go riding a bike or a walk or something. :D
I just love it when the blind lead the blind. 
Do any of you even know why aneurisms happen. Veins are like balloons they get thinner as they expand, plug them with plaque and force blood through them and they do just that.
I am not telling you to not take the pills, I'm telling you what you can do if you can't take the pills. None of you would purposely acquire the flu, yet the side effect from statins can be worse. But if you haven't taken them you can't know, yet you have the nerve to say listen to your Doctor who has nothing but a different satin to try. My cholesterol was dangerously high, the statin gave me migraines and sore muscles even at a dose that didn't work. But you want me to not try what is obviously working. Sorry, I'm not chancing a stroke by doing nothing even if it would make you happy to win what is not a debate but an information thread. An information thread for those with dangerously high cholesterol who can not take satins. How did this get turned around to be a platform for your insults. You are not contributing because you have nothing to contribute because you have no experience, just an opinion. Start another thread if you want to just bash me, I'll leave you to it. But as Star says it is a forum you can print what you want even if it isn't relevant. I had hoped those doing something alternative would contribute. 
What has this to do with diabetes.  
The plaque stick or press up against the artries walls can cause presser and force it to expland like a balloon,and it does work like that when you blow air into a rubber balloon, in fact I seen an image of someone's anerysim and it did look like an upside down balloon. The report explain how long and how wide it was, and even seen a doctor do it as how they measure it, it was fascinating. The doctor explain how this anerysim work and what cause it, it wasn't from eating wrong, it was other health issues which can cause a lot of problem with your whole body parts and some it affect people differently, so yes, I was fascinating by what he told me, I went in with someone for moral support and this is how I learn about it. Yes, I was even allow to ask this doctor questions, sure learn a lot :).

Yes this illness did cause strokes, not the cholesterol as it didn't have any role play with this person.

This person wasn't taken any drugs prescribe by the doctor and he started eating healthy and excercising and still end up with anerysim. There were other health factor that cause it.

Dav quote this ... "yet the side effect from statins can be worse", well, it didn't happen to my friend, and had to take statin drugs to prevent further compilations with body parts.

Diabetes can cause a lot of problems with it as well, but it isn't the only disease that contribute to this factor.