Where does body fat go when you lose weight?

Breathe deeply, Australian research shows that it’s going to take a lot of exhaling to get rid of that excess fat.

Despite society’s obsession with weight loss, a study has revealed that, surprisingly, most health professionals don’t actually know what happens to fat when we “lose it”.

The research conducted by a team at UNSW Science in Sydney calculated exactly what happens to our fat when we shed kilos, and revealed that doctor's leading theories are wrong - we don’t convert our missing mass into heat or energy, we breathe it out.

Their results, published in the British Medical Journal, reveal that 10 kg of fat turns into 8.4 kg of carbon dioxide, which is exhaled when we breathe, and 1.6 kg of water, which we then excrete through our urine, tears, sweat and other bodily fluids.

“The correct answer is that most of the mass is breathed out as carbon dioxide. It goes into thin air,” said lead author of the paper Ruben Meerman, a physicist and TV presenter, in a press release.

Meerman first became interested in the biochemistry of weight loss when he dropped 15 kg - but when he asked doctors where this weight went, he was surprised by the fact no one could tell him.

After surveying 150 doctors, dieticians and personal trainers, he discovered that more than half thought that fat was converted into heat or energy as we break it down.

But, as a physicist, Meerman knew that this would violate the Law of Conservation of Mass.

To figure out the answer once and for all, Meerman partnered with Andrew Brown, head of the UNSW School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, and the team started calculating the biomolecular reactions that result in weight loss.

We put on weight when excess carbohydrates and proteins that we've eaten are converted into triglycerides (compounds made up of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen) and are then stored in lipid droplets inside fat cells. To lose weight, you need to break down those triglycerides to access their carbon.

The results showed that in order to completely breakdown 10kg of human fat, we need to inhale 29 kg of oxygen (and somewhere along the way, burn 94,000 calories). This reaction produces 28 kg of CO2 and 11 kg of water.

“Our calculations show that the lungs are the primary excretory organ for fat,”

http://www.sciencealert.com/this-is-whe ... ose-weight
When I lose it, I usually find it on my butt.   :lol:
Dear Lord!!!!
So what you are saying is that when a person who is overweight goes on a diet, the fat lost is converted into carbon dioxide and expelled through breathing ? :shock:
Now let me wrap my mind around this. :roll:
Give me a minute.
Ok.
I understand that plants need both oxygen and carbon dioxide to survive. Carbon dioxide is used in photosynthesis. Since a large part of our populations are in an obesity crisis, will them dieting tip the delicate scales between oxygen and carbon dioxide?To put it more simply. Could overweight people(on a diet) put our atmosphere/planet at risk for climate change, lost forest, the crash of the stock market,higher sea levels, lost food production or any of the many things that are affecting us today?
What is my government doing about this? How can I now accept my overweight friends in the same way I did before this information was known? Is it better to just make it illegal to diet? I knew that when we got rid of the smokers that the overweight would soon be facing the twinkie police. I was told I was nuts. But all I replied was, all that was needed was a study to show how harmful to the planet, or to a non overweight person they where and it would happen. Now we have proof, a study, something to get our teeth into. Not only could they be harming the planet, but me as well. Its a win win situation. With one study both the planet and those not overweight people can be shown to be at risk. Since dieting could be so dangerous to the planet as well as non overweight people, would it be more humane to simply open up "kill" centers to deal with the problem?
They could be put to "sleep" watching films about chocolate or any food items they wish. Something on the order of the movie Soylent Green.
Now for the truth of the matter people. You may hate smokers, hate beef eaters, hate well whatever, but sooner or later what you like will become the focal point. Remember its never been about your health, our planet, or the future generations. Its all about control. Period.
One more thought. We already have kill centers for the unborn. It would be simple to add just a few more rooms to take care of the over weight, the sick, the disabled, and the elderly . Problem solved.
Laurie
So what you are saying is that when a person who is overweight goes on a diet, the fat lost is converted into carbon dioxide and expelled through breathing ? :shock:

And the government is worried about automobile emissions?  If every overweight person who drives a car went on a diet, you could kiss the world as we know it goodbye in under six months :lol:  
I wonder which government would be the first to put a tax on it :lol: :lol:
Would they put extra tax on low fat food? The person dieting? Would people have to diet in secret? What if you were ill and lost weight, would that be penalised? This is really serious :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cars have catalytic converters to convert emissions to harmless (supposedly) acids and water. Is the government going to make us wear masks on either end to convert these gasses we give off to harmless products and will we need bins to recycle this product. Will we need our names on our cloths so when we meet people will know us. Who will benefit from this. The tax man of course. Will buildings require scrubbers so we can remove our masks to eat and if the interest is still there have sex. Will this prevent the flu since everything going in and out will be filtered. Don't laugh, who would have thought flu shots would take off. And hey the masks can have built in cell phones so we can be hands free. Just don't get your masks mixed up. Might as well go all out and make the mask full face with a computer screen over one eye. You don't need to see anything any more, cars will drive themselves and everything will be paved over anyway. You can always live in that fantasy world called a chat room. 
Beaches will have clear domes you can sit in and get some filtered rays and remove your mask. No worry about sun burn. You can't go in the water anymore anyway so you can just lay in your dome naked and pretend you are one with nature, no one is going to see you anyway. 

No this could never happen could it???? 
bebeth wrote: Where does body fat go when you lose weight?

What I wanna know is: what happens to head fat when you learn something? It can't be as simple as exhaling CO2, or peeing out your ignorance. Anyone who knows the answer...clue me, please.
The answer is simple.
There are those that will learn when given the information and the correct facts.This type of person, just doesn't accept a sound bite, word of mouth, or newspapers print. These people review, research, and dig deep for the truth of each statement. They have no mind fat.
Then there are the rest.
They constitute a mind fat ratio that is astounding. Can rarely be reduced and is always at the front line of stupidity. They can be salvaged, but it is difficult. The reason being is it is effortless to do nothing, and let others think for you.
Laurie
The only brain fat that I know of is "Fatty Acid". This is usually found in people who are hyper or energy. But nearly everyone has a bit of Fatty Acid in their system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatty_acid
If this is true (a big IF in my opinion) then someone should organise tours for overweight folks to the deforested regions of the Amazon rainforests.

With all that CO2 breathed out combined with the rainfall and sunshine, think of all the photosynthesis that would go on.  

Happy campers would restore the deforestation in no time and come back slim and the indigenous tribes would get their beloved trees and jungles back.  A win win win all round.
Exhaling fat? That would explain heavy breathing and suggests a good way to lose weight ...
Mustangsally wrote: When I lose it, I usually find it on my butt.   :lol:

me too!