I was not a social democrat.

Then they came for the trade unionist,
I did not protest:
I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out for me.

The Pastor who wrote this was ordered arrested by Hitler himself and was held at Sachsenhausen and Dachau concentration camps. Allied troops freed him in 1945.

There is a lesson to be learned here and that lesson is this; Waiting to speak up is waiting until its too late. There is no time like the present to speak up, step up and get active. Look around you, get involved, make a change.

Miss Information
I have seen and heard this, and similar lessons, in various forms for years Lady, it is no less true today than when I first read it.

However;

There are myriad reasons why people remain silent on, what seem to be, important issues, but after being inundated with a century or more of the mass-media's spin on things "Important"; I try to cut them some slack.

Democracies kinda' spoiled things by proudly announcing to all and every that "Everyone is entitled to their opinion". Over my lifetime, I have learned, sometimes to my chagrin, that the more facts one acquires on a subject, the more ones untrained opinion will go out the window.

After a few embarrassing incidences, one tends to cleave to silence and let the other guy navigate the scalding waters of the public's rhetoric.
I fully understand what you are saying and respectfully disagree. With no voices, there is no freedom. We cannot sit and hope for the next guy to speak for us. First be informed. Research what you hear, dont rely on main stream media . Understand your subject. So many just sit quietly, and when "they" come for them they are shocked. Its not easy, and being a Constitution support and Libertarian, it is twice as hard.
Laurie
How about "I am tired of speaking out and be branded"
How about " I will fend for myself and if eventually they come for me then that is my faith"
How about " speaking out didn't get me anywhere and was left out exposed and cold but now that I fend for myself and survive any which way I know possible I am not cold anymore"
:D
I have learned that no matter what, for me, I would rather go screaming and kicking than be silent. It is a choice. As long as I have one, I choose to speak. It does get cold out here at times, but I am in good company. I will not be silent, while the world I know implodes .
Miss Information
I'd reply in length to this apathy post..but I just don't care to, LOL :)